On Wed 04 May 2022 at 15:43:03 +0200, Dieter Rohlfing wrote:

> Am Wed, 4 May 2022 12:50:14 +0100
> schrieb Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk>:
>
> >I wonder whether the net backend is required. What happens if the
> >entry is commented out?
>
> My fault: net was enabled, therefore I thought, that it is necessary.
> According to your proposal I disabled net and access to ET2711 is
> possible. So no need to enable net, airscan alone is sufficient.

If you do not need more that 100dpi and 300dpi, airscan gives a
user an alternative to Epson's non-free driver.

> >Scanning is taking place using the WSD (Web Services for Devices)
> >protocol. The eSCL protocol needs AirPrint on the device.
>
> I thought eSCL is just a synonym for WSD. Wrong or right? This is my
> first approach to scanning and I'm not very familiar with the different
> scanning protocols.

They are two completely different independent protocols. See

  https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork

> >Would you confirm you can scan with
> >
> >  xsnae "airscan:w0:EPSON ET-2710 Series"
>
> It works.

Thanks.

> >Unfortunately, the vendor's implementation of WSD may offer only
> >a limited number of resolutions. airscan cannot do anything about
> >this; it can only work with what it is told by the device.
>
> Agreed.

eSCL would have provided a wider range of resolutions. Why in this
day and age Epson chose not to provide the device with AirPrint is
beyond me.

> >With a USB connection, what do you get for
> >  lsusb -v | grep -A 3 bInterfaceClass.*7 ?
>
> The output is:
>
> >      bInterfaceClass         7 Printer
> >      bInterfaceSubClass      1 Printer
> >      bInterfaceProtocol      2 Bidirectional
> >      iInterface              6 USB2.0 Printer

The device does not provide IPP-over-USB either. Many MFPs have been
offering it since soon after 2012.

--
Brian.