Emanuel Berg writes:
> How does it work with other distro being forks (derivatives) of
> Debian, or some other distro being a Debian derivative, and so on -
> what's happening when they first base their distro on Debian, then put
> their own licence on theirs?

I believe that they could theoretically have the right to a compilation
copyright <https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/compilation> on the
distribution as a whole.  However that might conflict with the GPL terms
of many of the components and in any case if they license the
compilation under DFSG compliant terms the effect would be null.

I suspect that the reason some of them attach license to their
distributions is that they labor the widespread delusion that no one can
use a copy of a piece of software unless they have a license.

(All USA law, of course.  Your jurisdiction may vary.)
--
John Hasler
j...@sugarbit.com