pa...@quillandmouse.com wrote:
> Back in the dark days of early Linux, before CUPS, we printed with
> printers all the time. There was an infrastructure for doing this. Does
> anyone remember how that worked? As in, what packages were needed, etc.?

LPRng was the most common printing spooler before CUPS.

Additional you needed printer specific drivers, if you don't have a
PostScript capable printer.

But I cant remember anymore how to setup these things - around 20 years
have passed.

I have doubts that programs like libreoffice, gimp, or PDF readers will
still work without CUPS. But don't know for sure.

Best regards,
        Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel
GnuPG-Key-ID: 1024R/5068792D  1994-06-27