On 6/17/22 08:25, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 08:05:16AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
On 6/17/22 01:02, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 08:39:19PM +0100, Brian wrote:

[...]
The point about being poitve and constructive rather than snarky is a more
general one.

Cheers
I agree 100%. This whole nightmare was started by the installer silently
installing brltty and orca, assuming I was blind just because it found a
plugged in fdti usb<->serial adapter, and by the time I had killed the
noise, the log was still being spammed about 30 lines per keystroke and
the system uptime was in hours. And the reboot was locked up by not finding
brltty, so that was about the first 25 re-installs. It was the only way
to reboot.

Early on in your 25 reinstalls, I and others suggested you unplug the serial
leads and try again. Once you were able to do that, you got a more usual
install where that option is skipped.

And I'm catching hell because I didn't trace down my USB tree and unplug
everything during the install.

As above: you were advised to do this - when you finally did, it worked as
expected.
It also required I put these 87 yo knees on the floor and crawl around
under the table to trace which cable was which. That gets complex
when there are over 20 of them and 2 external hubs in 32 years of
detrius because the i-robot can't even get thru the door into this childs
bedroom I appropriated for a den in '89 when I married the owner of
this house. We had 31 great years, but her ashes are in a pretty vase, sitting
on her piano now. COPD is not a gentle way to die, I was there.
I squawk about the d-i and the reaction here was as if I had gored and
killed the last ox on the planet.
It's not d-i's fault in that sense - it's an interaction between serial
device detection and the need for a braille TTY - but that's tickles a
fairly small subset of installs at best. You happened to fall foul of it
and a simple solution that you could carry out - because you are sighted -
resolved it for you.
I would rebut that it is, the d-i could interrogate and discover that
whatever was beyond either of those adapters was not a braille tty.
But no, it finds the adapter and assumes its feeding a braille tty.

Bad dog, no biscuit.
I never went any where near that line in the installers menu on any of
those installs. I have met, on a different mailing list, the person that
was done for, and have not mentioned the frustration this has caused me
to him. He has enough chutzpah for 10 folks, trying to run OpenSCAD by
listening to orca in German which I assume it speaks better than the
broken English it used for me. I can do nothing but admire him for trying...

He, I'm sure, did not ask to be blinded. I, likewise, did not ask to be
frustrated. This last install I chose not to install kde, intending to
install tde, but it will not install on bullseye. Broken dependencies.

Take that up with the TDE folks - we can't help you, though if you were better
able to show us exactly what you mean, one of us might try.
Its been reported on their list. I am far from the only one complaining.
But it does work for some, so the magic twanger hasn't been found yet.
TDE is not the only failure. What is now linuxcnc was originally an NIST
project to modernize american manufacturing in the '60's, named EMC
then but the accounting firm claimed copyright so it had to be renamed,
originally public domain, but now rewritten largely inĀ  python, but python3
is moving so fast since Guido stepped away that we can't keep up with it.
Works on buster just fine, with a realtime kernel of course.

We, the linux people are not fixing bugs, but adding more bugs in the
name of eye candy.

You did write earlier that you'd managed to install GNOME as well as xfce
gnome environment, but not one of its desktops, the environment is
installed.
That was install #31,

So I chose xfce4 for #32 because it runs fine on 5 other machines here.
And digikam, if I boot from the other drive, also with 11-3 on it, but
running kde, works flawlessly there. But despite pulling in 261 other
bit and pieces of kde on this drive when it was told to install digikam,
apt did not pull in enough dependencies to make importing from a camera
work. I had to pull the battery, then the card and plug it into a reader,
find it in gimp, load and save the picture I wanted someplace else. So
I got the pix I wanted.

I built this machine to use, not fight with a broken installer and now
the package manager. Is there some option I can set in synaptic to make
it fully resolve the missing dependencies?
The installer isn't broken - without sight of the dependencies we can't
help, I think. I understand the frustration - I really do - but the
rest of us following on the list need information that isn't forthcoming
in order to be more helpful. Sometimes you might have to resort to
a command line apt/apt-get or aptitude to resolve whether or not synaptic
is at fault in the information it's showing you.
See my rebuttal above.
That's today's first question as I strive to make this machine usable.
Again.

Thank you.
Cheers - and with every good wish,

Andy Cater