On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:35:08 +0100
Peter Hillier-Brook <p...@hbsys.plus.com> wrote:

> On 21/06/2022 11:53, Siard wrote:

> >> Have you succeeded in gaining support for USB? I haven't yet got
> >> past the <dkms> and guest Additions stage.
> >
> > Indeed, USB appears not to be working. (Never used it.)
> > I have dkms and dh-dkms installed.
> > The VirtualBox-6.1 deb has been installed and upgraded with 'dpkg
> > -i'. It also puts VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into /usr/share/virtualbox.
> > Then in the guest OS you can choose Devices > Insert Guest
> > Additions CD image... from the menu.
> > More about installing and maintaining the guest additions:
> > www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#additions-linux
> >
> > I should also note that right now there appear to be problems with
> > the latest kernel, 5.18.0. The message in the terminal where VB was
> > started from, says: "WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not
> > loaded. Either there is no module available for the current kernel
> > (5.18.0-1-amd64) or it failed to load." Probably a temporary
> > problem. When starting Debian with the previous kernel 5.17.0, VB
> > still works.
>
> Thanks for the quick response. Without correctly functioning guest
> additions - by which I specifically mean USB - VirtualBox is almost
> useless for me. I would agree with you that kernel 5.18.0 is the most
> likely source of the problem and living on in hope is the best option.

Yes, I was using it a few years ago, and a new Debian kernel made the
guest additions unusable. I forget what I needed them for, but gave up
on VB then. I dare say a later version of the VB additions fixed the
problem, but there was no knowing how long this would take, or whether
this would happen after every kernel upgrade.

--
Joe