> On Sep 2, 2022, at 1:05 PM, Kevin Price <k...@osnanet.de> wrote:
>
> I suspect your "very little customization" (since you're doing
> networking stuff) or the "VBox Guest Additions" (since they mess with
> network interfaces). In order to test this, I used
> debian-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso from the archive to install a vm, but in
> my case QEMU/KVM. German localization and no task selected but
> task-ssh-server.

Still working this, but here's an update:

I did a minimal install using the 11.4 installer.  At the tasksel menu, I
de-selected both Debian desktop environment and GNOME, so no GUI was installed.
 I did *no* other installation or configuration--not even VirtualBox Guest
Additions.  It was truly a minimal install.

With this minimal system, I ran my disable_ipv6 test.  It worked just fine!
That is, IPv6 remained off on the interfaces when I brought them (also, the
interfaces were not "UP" by default).

Then I ran tasksel and add Debian desktop environment and LXDE and rebooted.
At that point, disable_ipv6 does *not* work.

Now, this does seem to narrow it down--sort of.  But the confusing thing is
that the system on which disable_ipv6 currently *works* is also running LXDE.

>> Scratching my head...
>
> I'm curious about the outcome, so maybe follow-up to this list please?
> Any potential bugs should be reported. But probably I won't be able to
> spare time to test VirtualBox.

Hard to tell if it's VirtualBox at this point, but as I mentioned above, I have
*not* installed Guest Additions on this new system--just LXDE (and everything
that comes with it :))

Casey