Hi,

I have some servers successfully configured to send notification emails, but I do not exactly understand how it works :-)

I have installed openSMTPd and configured it to forward email to a relay (another SMTP server, the one from my email provider). I have also set up aliases in `/etc/aliases`. This allows me to send email from my servers, either when cron runs a task, or when I run `echo my_content | mail -s subject root` from scripts.

My question is: how cron daemon and mail command know that they should contact openSMTPd, and how? Do they try by default on localhost:25 or /run/smtpd.sock? I could not find any clue, nor in cron manpages nor in mailutils online documentation.

Regards,
Yvan