Why not ? Think about this : you can put the malicious code where there is
the lowest chance for someone to look. A lot of eyes are pointed at the
closed source,because there are less eyes that can look inside there (at
least less eyes than the eyes which look on the source code) and for this
reason the chance to hide it is high. But even the contrary can be true :
everyone knows that there are a lot of eyes which look inside the source
code and this can be the reason for someone to think that no one will look
if he/she thinks that there are a lot of eyes that look :D At the end,the
question is : are we sure that a lot of eyes look in some sections of the
open source code ? Everyone says that this happens for sure,but is this
really true ? Maybe a lot of eyes are pointed in some portions of the
code,but is it valid for every section of it ? I don't know if I managed to
make myself understood, because mine is an attempt to make a
counter-intuitive speech,since I've understood that the counterintuitive
speeches are often interesting.

--
Mario.