B.M. writes:

I'm going to buy a Dell Precision 3570 laptop in the next couple of weeks.
Since it's a Build Your Own device, I can order it with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS pre-

[...]

the machine should work well - but who knows? How would you proceed?

[...]

b) replace Ubuntu by Debian, fiddling around issues if there are any later

[...]

d) analyze the installed system (how?) to find out any special configs etc.
before replacing Ubuntu by Debian

[...]

My approach would be to combine d + b of sorts:

1. First start up from a Debian Live system. Check that it boots OK.

2. Then create a copy of the installed Ubuntu system (either `dd` or
   `tar` depending on your preferences) and store the copy at a network
   location or attach an external USB drive for the purpose.

3. Then install Debian replacing the existent Ubuntu installation.

4. If something specific does not work and cannot be made working by
   installing non-free / proprietary graphics drivers etc. then the
   previously created copy can be analyzed to find out if Dell's Ubuntu
   does something special/differently.

5. In case of hardware warranty issues etc. you can bring back the original
   Ubuntu just in case Dell insists on having that present for error
   error analysis. Once the device goes out of warranty, you could delete
   the old Ubuntu copy from whatever storage you saved it to.

   Alternatively, with most Dell Precision machines, it should be possible
   to order a “keep your hard drive” service that allows you to send-in a
   device for warranty without having to hand-back the system drive. Not
   sure if it is viable in this case, though.

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö