On 2022-12-01 18:19, David Wright wrote:
On 2022-12-01 04:14, David Wright wrote:
On Wed 30 Nov 2022 at 19:38:05 (-0500), Greg Wooledge wrote:
Have you considered the possibility it's *not* hung, but is in fact
booted and working?

Have you tried pressing Enter a few times to see if a new login prompt
gets printed?
If pressing Enter doesn't work, it might be that the "main" VC is
broken; perhaps try switching to another VC with Alt-→ and seeing
if a Login: prompt appears there.
Pressing enter doesn't do anything, but I can switch VC. I get a login
prompt on every VC but the first one. The network is up to, I get an
ip-address and I can ping the internet. Neither sddm or kde starts
though, nor does my home partition get mounted. In fact it doesn't
even show up in /etc/fstab and I definitely configured it to get
mounted on nvme0n1p1 during installation.
Presumably you logged in as root? Is there a /home directory at all?
If there is, does it contain anything, like a directory with two or
three dotfiles in it?

I've reinstalled again after checking the checksum for the iso file was correct and after changing to a new usb-stick to make sure that wasn't the problem. I now have /home mounted on nvme0n1p1 where it is supposed to be, and it shows up in fstab. In spite of what I said earlier I think I simply forgot to configure the home partition on the previous installation. It has all the normal dotfiles, . , .. , .bash_logout , .bashrc , .config and .profile

The problem still persists though.

I should also mention that I can log in as a regular user.

cheers

jd