On Wed 22 Feb 2023 at 06:34:27 (+1000), David wrote:
> On Tue, 2023-02-21 at 12:09 -0800, Van Snyder wrote:
> >
> > When I installed Debian 11, I didn't destroy Debian 10. I still have
> > Debian 10 on a different drive. In attempting to repair an entirely
> > different problem, I had done
> >
> >       apt-get update; apt-get upgrade
>
> One of the reasons I prefer aptitude's `safe-upgrade'.

That's the equivalent command, and would not protect you. It will
upgrade everything that doesn't involve a new package, but nothing
else, hence the mish-mash of Debian 10 and 11.

If you want keep an old system around, you need to make sure that the
sources.list has the correct version's proper name in it, ie buster
in your case. And if you're later going to use it at all, you need
to keep it updated with those two commands.

> > Does anybody have any suggestions to repair it?

As others have suggested, the easiest is probably to:

  # apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade

which will take it up to stable ≡ bullseye.

Then edit the sources.list and change stable → bullseye.
And do the same edit to the system that was already Debian 11.

In a few ?weeks, you can decide which of the two drives you want to
upgrade to Debian 12 ≡ bookworm, and leave the other as Debian 11,
upgradeable /safely/ as Debian 11.

Cheers,
David.