On Fri 24 Feb 2023 at 22:43:49 (+0100), Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 01:25:55PM -0600, David Wright wrote:

> > > I think so, too.
> >
> > Well, you typically only get a level of Recommended for avahi-autoipd
> > when you install on a laptop, which is a reasonable choice for the
> > debian-installer to make. Otherwise it's either a Suggests, or the
> > sysadmin has to choose it off their own bat. But I guess their are
> > a lot of laptops, now they are affordable, that aren't really used
> > in the way they were intended, but just as more flexible desktops.
>
> Having `apt purge avahi-autoipd` still gets me "auto IPv4 address"
>
> Ideas how to avoid it are  welcome.
>

> <screenshot>
> $ dpkg -l '*avahi*ip*'
> | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
> +++-==============-============-============-=================================
> un  avahi-autoipd  <none>       <none>       (no description available)
> $ uptime
>  22:45:25 up 1 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.04, 0.05
> $ ip route | grep system
> 169.254.0.0/16 dev ovs-system scope link src 169.254.201.7 metric 1004
> $
> </screenshot>

I see you rebooted, and you get the same address. It's ambiguous as
to why: it could have been stored, which makes things more efficient
when a number of machines start up and don't have to renegotiate;
or it could have been recomputed anew by a pseudorandom process on a
host-dependent seed, which would generate the same sequence of tries
each time you boot.

A couple of odd points:

. I notice that certain files in the openvswitch packages seem to
  generate 169.254.… addresses,
. There's a long discussion about getting the network to come up
  in the right order, which seems to suggest that there's a fair
  chance of getting it wrong.

> Silence is hard to parse

It's ironic that this is your signature. AFAICT we've been told a
total of:

. you installed package openvswitch-switch,
. 169.254.0.0/16 dev ovs-system scope link src 169.254.201.7 metric 1004
  is in the routing table in the company of ?,
. configured with network-manager? and systemd-networkd?
  (not sure how they interact),
. systemd-networkd-wait-online waits for any? interface to be up,
  but the tests are flawed, and the order seems to be of no concern
  notwithstanding the long discussion mentioned.

Cheers,
David.