On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 13:33:32 -0500
Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 06:12:09PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> > On Wed 01 Mar 2023 at 17:43:41 +0100, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > In a pinch, you can "sudo apt-get clean", which purges the APT
> > > package cache, which lives in /var. You didn't show us /var,
> > > which might be interesting too (/var/log, in case some logs
> > > aren't rotated properly?)
> >
> > There should not be any actual packages in /var/cache/apt.
>
> This depends on whether one uses "apt" or "apt-get" or some other
> program to install packages.  By default, "apt" removes the .deb files
> from /var/cache/apt/archives/ after installing them, but "apt-get"
> does not.  For other programs, who knows.

I've just asked about this but forgot to mention that I use apt, I'll
only use apt-get if a version upgrade recommends it. As I said, I have a
fairly well-used archives directory. I do recall, when apt became a
thing, reading what you posted there about apt removing the debs. There
must be a configuration which prevents that.

--
Joe