On Thu, Mar 02, 2023 at 10:32:41AM +0100, daven...@tuxfamily.org wrote:
> This system never had any debian 10 or lower. It has been issued to my by
> $worksplace
> in december 2021, initially running windows.

> akb@akira:~$ LC_ALL=C aptitude why ifupdown
> p   netscript-2.4 Provides ifupdown
> p   netscript-2.4 Depends  bridge-utils (>= 0.9.3)
> p   bridge-utils  Suggests ifupdown
> akb@akira:~$ LC_ALL=C aptitude why netscript-2.4
> p   netscript-2.4 Provides ifupdown

unicorn:~$ apt-cache show netscript-2.4
[...]
Description-en: Linux 2.4/2.6/3.x router/firewall/VM host network config system.
 This is a router and firewall network configuration system.  It is specific to
 the 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernel series. This system is in production use, even
 though this is an experimental version.
[...]
 DON'T use this on a pure server - it is VERY useful for a Virtual Machine
 server with complex networking needs.  This is because of its comprehensive
 network configuration capabilities.  Thus it is a tempting replacement
 when you have to rip out NetworkManager on a server.

That sounds pretty terrifying to me.  I'm surprised it works *at all*
with a Debian 11 (or higher?  you didn't say what you *are* running,
only what you're *not* running) kernel.