Anssi, thanks for your reply.

When Andreas Beckmann added this URL to his apt disclosure:

https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#non-free-split

He does give a useful example of how the entry should look in
/etc/apt/sources/list  like this:

deb https://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm main non-free-firmware

and so I did that and it matched up well with the other deb entries
excepting for the last part 'firmware'

When I did apt update with the new entry I got this warning message:

W: Failed to fetch https://deb/debian.org/debian/dists/bookworm/InRelease
Could not resolve 'deb'

on running apt full-upgrade I see this:

the following packages have been kept back:
nvidia-kernel-dkms

This means then nothing can happen until whatever is
holding back nvidia-kernel-dkms is resolved because it must provide
the missing nvidia-open-kernel-525.89.02.  Andreas Beckmann is saying
adding deb https://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm main non-free-firmware
to the /etc/apt/sources.list will install the firmware for
nvidia-kernel-dkms that will then create nvidia-open-kernel.

Until apt can resolve the mystery of 'non-free-firmware.' In my
/etc/apt/apt/sources.list the entry was accepted until I got to the word
firmware and that was whited out and deb can't be resolved.

So, the cart is before the horse maybe, but there is more we cannot see.

--
Charles Kroeger