On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 11:14:20PM +0100, local10 wrote:
> Strangely, the issue resolved itself without me having to do anything. Am
> really puzzled as to what it was. Perhaps the internet provider suddenly
> started to block DNS queries but then allowed them again? If so, why did
> dig's message say that there was "communications error to 127.0.0.1#53: timed
> out"? It really gives an impression that dig was failing to connect 127.0.0.1
> port 53, on which bind was running.
>
> # dig www.yahoo.com <http://www.yahoo.com>
> ;; communications error to 127.0.0.1#53: timed out
> ;; communications error to 127.0.0.1#53: timed out
>
> Maybe someone will shed some light on this.

UDP doesn't have a "connection".  The client sends a datagram (a one-way
message) to the UDP service, and then waits to receive a reply.

If the UDP service in turn sends a datagram to a third party, and waits
for a reply, but never receives one... and thus never responds to the
original client... then all the client knows is that it never got a
response.  It doesn't know why.