On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 03:46:54PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> Reco (12023-03-17):
> > Yes, it will destroy the contents of the device, so backup
>
> No. If I accepted to have to rely on an extra copy of the data, I would
> not be trying to do something complicated like that.

Well, theoretically you can use Btrfs instead.
I recall that there was some way to convert ext4 to btrfs without losing
anything.
Practically, friends do not let friends to use btrfs ;)
Unless you're using SLES (*not* OpenSUSE), and do backups frequently,
then it's kind of OK.

In conclusion, implementing mdadm + iSCSI + ext4 would be probably the
best way to achieve whatever you want to do.

PS There's that old saying, "RAID is not a substitute for a backup".
What you're trying to do sounds suspiciously similar to an old "RAID
split-mirror" backup technique. Just saying.

Reco