Jeremy Nicoll wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2023, at 15:26, songbird wrote:
>> songbird wrote:
>>>   i've been trying to find anything that will let me set this
>>> but no luck yet in my searches.
>
> Surely you don't need to set a temperature limit?  If you
> do, the cpu will still run (far too much, but less than now)
> up to that lower max temperature.

  i'm actually quite ok with it running a lot longer
at the lower temperature because it is only this one
application that is being the hog.  most of the time
i'm idling and the temperatures rarely get above 31C.
i can listen to music, i can watch videos and browse
at the same time and rarely go above 30-40C.
when the hog kicks in it immediately goes to 100C
and all for something simple like FTPing some files
to my website host.  as it never did this in the past
it's a bug someplace as far as i'm concerned but getting
someone to find and fix the bug is a challenge and i
really would like to know the answer anyways.  so i
asked.  :)

> Wouldn't it be better to limit the amount of cputime that
> the hogging application is using?
>
> Google suggests that "nice" or "cpulimit" might do that.

  nice didn't do it.  "nice -n 19" didn't make any change.

  ok, will give cpulimit a try for the next upload and see
how that goes.  :)  thanks.

  cpulimit was not installed so that is now rectified.

  thanks!

  songbird