Hello,

On Mon, Apr 03, 2023 at 08:20:36PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> 1.00 is best, higher numbers indicate wastefulness.
>
> C has 1.00 for energy consumption and for processing time.
> For memory needs it's at rank 3 with 1.17.
> Perl has 79.58 for energy (rank 27 of 27), 65.79 for time (rank 25),
> 6.62 for memory (rank 23).
> Python has 71.90 for energy (rank 26), 71.90 for time (rank 26),
> 2.80 for memory (rank 12).

It is almost as if one small set of metrics aren't enough to decide,
for everyone, in every case, which language should be used!

Similarly, the idea posted in this thread to objectively quantify
every feature a language can possibly have and then see which one
has the most, so we can dub that language "the best": This ignores
the fact that people have been doing research for 50+ years into
creating the academically perfect programming language. Even if any
group of people COULD agree objectively on those metrics, what
succeeds in the marketplace of ideas (and indeed, the literal
marketplace) would not be determined by those metrics alone.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful or interesting, but it's an
extremely narrow view of human behaviour.

Cheers,
Andy