On 10 Apr 2023 22:58, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 10:53:41PM +0200, zithro wrote:
Why can't you follow others advice, hell, if you don't trust us, even the
perfectly correct and up-to-date manpages ?
After reading the posts of others, I'm more and more thinking your simply a
troll (or a RedHat fanatic wasting Debian helpers time for no reason) ...

My take is that he's confused, not trolling.  I've never seen any evidence
that he's intentionally making false statements.  He seems to believe what
he's saying.

Well, I don't know what's the worst ...
And honestly, when you're genuinely confused, you believe and follow the advice of the ones who know ...

The weird and frustrating part is that nothing we do or offer seems to
break through the confusion.

So, I got curious about his claim : "that change to resolv.conf adding the search line [search hosts, nameserver] has been required since red hat 5.0 in 1998".
(The bracket addition is mine)

I'm not using RHEl-based systems a lot so I may be wrong, and there's not a lot of material left from the 1998 web, but the resolv.conf file *looks* identical in RHEL-based systems, at least nowadays. I quickly browsed a few RH help pages about resolv.conf, but couldn't find his claim.

I then searched for "search hosts, nameserver" on search engines (-with- the quotes, to only get full-match results). Either I get no results or ... wait for it ... it *ONLY* gives me results where Gene posted !

So Gene, can you tell us where you read this ?

If you didn't read it somewhere, are you using it because :
- it always has been in your config files, which you created at a time you didn't really know what you were doing,
- or you followed advice from someone who claimed he knew,
- or it was in a wrongly pre-configured system and you blindly copied the stanza ?