On 2023-04-11 at 22:30, Michel Verdier wrote:

> Le 11 avril 2023 davidson a écrit :

>> I believe the OP just wants an extra entry in his grub menu that
>> will boot a redundant copy of his latest working kernel. (But that
>> is only my understanding, which might be wrong. OP can speak for
>> himself on this point.)
>
> Ok to cover grub menu you just have to had it in /etc/grub.d. You
> simply copy a block menuentry from /boot/grub/grub.cfg and put it in
> something like /etc/grub.d/40_custom. In the copy you can change
> kernel params, etc. update-grub will include it in generated
> grub.cfg.

Without anything more, wouldn't that just result in an extra GRUB-menu
entry pointing to the same copy of the kernel/etc.?

As I think I understand matters, the goal is to have a duplicate copy of
the kernel/etc. *and* a separate GRUB menu entry pointing to it, so that
if something blows away or otherwise messes up the original the
duplicate is still around to serve as a fallback.

--
   The Wanderer