On Sat, 15 Apr 2023 16:45:40 +0000
"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amaca...@einval.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 01:23:05PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Sat 15 Apr 2023 at 08:11:17 -0400, pa...@quillandmouse.com wrote:
> >
> > > Folks:
> > >
> > > Here is my sources.list file:
> > >
> > > ---
> > >
> > > deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ bookworm main contrib
> > > non-free deb-src http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ bookworm main
> > > contrib non-free
> > >
> > > deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security
> > > main contrib non-free deb-src
> > > http://security.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security main
> > > contrib non-free
> > >
> > > ---
> > >
> > > According to https://www.debian.org/releases/, bookworm at this
> > > time is "testing". But when the next release comes, bookworm will
> > > still be bookworm, but "testing" will be bookworm "plus". I'd
> > > like to follow testing, regardless of the status of Debian
> > > official releases.
> > >

> I would really not advise that. The changes as one distribution rolls
> to stable and the next one becomes testing are quite major - also,
> things change (like sources.list files).
>
> I would suggest that you remain on bookworm until bookworm is
> released as stable. At that point (and only then) change bookworm to
> trixie and carry on. As soon as bookworm is released, there will be
> massive churn.
>
> Stable, testing, unstable are mutable: distribution code names are
> not. There's a reason why Debian switched to codenames early - there
> never was a Debian 1.0 -
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_version_history and
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

I've been at Debian for a couple of decades now, and I'm aware of how
the distro and its flavors change periodically. At the instant bookworm
becomes "official", stable changes completely to become bookworm, and
testing is slightly different from bookworm. I've run stable, testing
and sid in the past. Sid's a little too unstable for my tastes. But
stable is typically too "old". Testing is fine for me as long as I
don't continually update packages.

A while back, I tried Arch for about four months. Great distro, but I
had stability problems because on Arch, you typically update all the
time. It's a complete moving target. It's fine for a lot of guys who
chase the latest packages, but I'm not that guy.

When Debian officially changes versions, I typically reinstall, whether
I'm running stable or testing. This brings most everything up to date,
and eliminates the cruft I'm accumulated of packages I installed but no
longer want.

I'm willing to shoulder the risks of running testing and upgrading
entirely when bookworm becomes stable.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster