On Wed, 2023-04-26 at 11:11 -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> Can't explain it, but it strikes me it's almost certainly a
> permissions problem.
>
> Patrick
>

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 11:06 AM Default User
> <hunguponcont...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Strange . . .
> >
> > I run Debian 11 (Bullseye) Stable, up to date, Gnome 3 desktop
> > environment.
> >
> > I recently set up Evolution email.  Works okay.
> >
> > Two days ago, I realized that it absolutely refuses to delete email
> > messages directly from the [Gmail]/All Mail folder of any email
> > account.  To delete a message in the All Mail folder, that is not
> > also
> > in another folder, the message must be moved into another folder
> > and
> > then deleted from there.
> >
> > I sure think I remember being able to delete directly from the All
> > Mail
> > folder when I first set up Evolution.
> >
> > I re-started Evolution.  No change.
> > I re-booted. No change.
> > I did sudo aptitude reinstall evolution.  No Change.
> > I moved ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/folders.db to Trash,
> > then
> > re-started Evolution to construct a new folders.db file. No
> > change.
> > I did sudo aptitude purge evolution, then sudo aptitude install
> > Evolution.  No change.
> > I moved ~/.local/share/evolution, ~/.cache/evolution, and
> > ~/.config/evolution to Trash, then did sudo aptitude purge
> > evolution,
> > then sudo aptitude install Evolution.  No change.
> > I did some research online, seeking a solution, or at least a
> > "good"
> > explanation.  No solution or "good" answer was found.
> >
> > But . . .   then I booted into a Debian 11.6 Live/Install usb thumb
> > drive, and then installed Evolution into the Live session, upon
> > which
> > Evolution DID allow message deletion directly from the [Gmail]/All
> > Mail
> > folder!
> >
> > Back to my regular Debian 11 Stable install.  No change.
> >
> > It makes no sense to me that it would work from a Debian 11
> > Live/Install session, but not (currently) from a regular Debian
> > session.
> >
> > Even if it did not work from a Live Debian session, it makes no
> > sense
> > to me that Evolution could be designed this way.  I see no good
> > reason
> > that messages can be directly deleted from any other folder, but
> > not
> > [Gmail]/All Mail.
> >
> > Does anyone have a solution, so that messages must be moved to
> > another
> > folder (if they are not also there already), just to be deleted?
> > Or at
> > least a "good" explanation as to why Evolution appears to be
> > designed
> > this way?

Hi, Patrick.

I don't see anything obviously wrong about the permissions on my
computer.  Not surprising, since I rarely change any permissions, and
can't recall doing so where it might cause the condition in question.

But I don't know what exactly to look for.
Perhaps a directory that has extra or inappropriate read-only
permission(s)?

And I don't think that any permissions on my computer are involved,
since the email folders in question are not on my local computer, they
are on one or more Google server(s) elsewhere.  I am just accessing
them remotely, they are not downloaded to my computer.

Possibly interesting note: The [Gmail]/Important and [Gmail]/All Mail
folders both have listed in "folder properties"/"Labels" the Server Tag
"$Phishing".  No other folders do.

But again, messages can be directly deleted from [Gmail]/Important
folders, but not from [Gmail]/All Mail folders.  So it probably doesn't
mean anything in the current context.

Well, anyway, do other Debian Stable Evolution users experience this
problem?

Or is it really "just me"?