On Tue, 2023-05-02 at 17:03 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 2/5/23 16:58, Bret Busby wrote:
> > On 2/5/23 11:42, David Wright wrote:
>
> <snip>

> > > I thought that just cleared /var/cache/apt/archives/.

> > > I've never tried that without a package name. What does it do?
> > >

> > RTFM ?
> >

> man apt

Which doesn't say what 'apt purge' does without a package name. It says
'Performs the requested action on one or more packages specified via
regex(7), glob(7) or exact match'. It doesn't go on to say what happens
if you leave that blank. 3 possibilities that spring to mind is that
this is and error, a noop, or means 'every package'. The latter you be
real bad, the other two now a useful suggestion to people. Of course,
it could be special cased to mean 'purge everything not installed',
which count be useful, but the man page doesn't say that.

--
Tixy