On 06 May 2023 06:45, David Wright wrote:

*I login to VC1 and startx for an Xserver*

I think that's why you don't have my problem, your user is always logged in, even when you close X.

Is the greeter just deferring the ssh command until you login?
Nope, they work without X "direct" login. I even rarely login to X before ssh-ing.

So I suppose the difference is that when I kill my Xserver, I'm
returned to VC1, but not logged off. The question I'll not ask is
why do you logoff? Or maybe I will.

Ahah ^^ (and yes for your logoff, as said above).
Yeah, I could as well keep the X login open till I close all ssh sessions, but it's using ressources for nothing. Except NOT logging in X (which I rarely do), the quickest fix would be to remove systemd altogether, it's only there because it's Debian's defaults. I just dunno if it's as easy on my setup than on non-X+DE/DM, where it's kinda easy.