On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 8:32 PM Albretch Mueller <lbrt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been mounting an NTFS file system on a Windows laptop without
> any problems whatsoever with a Debian Live DVD:
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux debian 5.10.0-18-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.140-1 (2022-09-02)
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> and even though Linux utilities are telling me I do have space on the drive:
>
> $ date; sudo df -h | grep "Filesystem\|/dev/sd"
> Sun 14 May 2023 06:55:23 PM UTC
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda1       286G  167G  120G  59% /media/user/60320G593EB7250F
> $
>
> $ date; time sudo du --summarize --human-readable
> /media/user/60320G593EB7250F
> Sun 14 May 2023 07:13:43 PM UTC
> 166G    /media/user/60320G593EB7250F
>
> real    0m45.230s
> user    0m1.073s
> sys     0m15.443s
> $
>
> when I try to save or download a file I consistently get the same error
> message:
>
> $ cp "No space left on device" > No_space_left_on_device.txt
> bash: No_space_left_on_device.txt: No space left on device
>
> that started happening right after a WiFi connection at a library was
> shutdown, which I waited for with my script running, accessing the
> Internet, because I wanted to test such a case. Script "gracefully"
> worked as programmed to do, but that other error started right after
> the connection was cut off.
>
> I have no idea how could those two things be related! Why would that
> happen? Any suggestions, please?

I don't know if it's related...

I seem to recall the GNUlib folks talking about a cp bug on sparse
files. It looks like it may be fixed in coreutils release 9.2
(2023-03-20): https://github.com/coreutils/coreutils/blob/master/NEWS#L233

If I recall correctly, it had something to do with the way
copy_file_range worked. (Or maybe, it did not work as expected).

Jeff