> It's just the problems I get don't seem to happen to anyone else. But
> then I suppose, like Land Rovers, there's no two identical sid
> installations anywhere.

That's indeed a downside of Debian's package management where the set of
packages (and their versions) installed just before an upgrade can have
a vast impact on the set of packages you end up with.

In systems like Guix/Nix the set of packages you end up with is uniquely
determined by the "specification" of your system.  In such a system,
upgrading just computes the new set of packages that should be present
(regardless of those currently installed) and then figures out how to
change the current system to get there.

        Stefan