On 2023-05-15 15:56:17 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 09:37:29PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> > > There's no need to do that.  Debian already ships an rc-local.service.
> > >
> > > All you need to do is create an /etc/rc.local file, make it executable,
> > > and make sure it's a valid shell script (with a shebang and all that).
> >
> > This is a bad idea. The /etc/rc.local file is provided by the
> > initscripts package. I would suggest to either install this
> > package and use it in the way it is intended or create your
> > own service.
>
> That's incorrect.

It is correct, as shown by the following command:

zira:~> dlocate etc/rc.local
initscripts: /etc/rc.local

Ditto with "apt-file search etc/rc.local".

> You can claim that using rc.local is a bad practice,

This is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that using it in a way that
it incompatible with initscripts (which provides the file) is a bad
idea. Note that the user might want to install later a package that
would depend on it, and things could break in obscure ways.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>