On Thu 18 May 2023 at 14:26:13 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:

> On Thu, 18 May 2023 15:09:00 +0100
> Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

> > I haven't any idea why M234 does not work from the dialog. It might be
> > an issue with the GTK version. Personally, I would prefer that Firefox
> > was uused to confirm or not.
>
> I installed xfce and firefox, and ran firefox on the computer (rather
> than over ssh to another computer). Firefox showed three queues: PDF,
> and two printer queues. The PDF one worked. The other two failed
> silently. The printer never woke up for either.

The PDF queue is not part of the printing system.

> Firefox also allows printing from the system printer dialog. When I
> selected that, it showed the same three queues. The two printer queues
> had error messages.
>
> For HP_Laserjet_MFP_m234sdw_C0FB67, "No destination host name supplied
> by cups-browserd for printer "HP_Las..."

cups-browserd uses mDNS to get the destination host name. OK, it can
come off the rails at times, but ideapc is happy enough with it.

I'll again mention that neiher cups-browserd nor a manual queue is
required for printing; I gave a test of this in another post.
CUPS should form a temporary queue.

> For HP_Laserjet_MFP_m234sdw_C0FB67@hpbm234ethernet.local, I got an
> error message, which disappeared before I could write it down. There
> is now no error message. I tried printing to that, and this time the
> printer came up, showed its "busy" indicator, and did nothing.

This is often an indication that the dialog is unable to query the
printer. It shouldn't happen on bookworm.

> > An alternative URI for M234 is
> >
> >   ipp://192.168.100.134/ipp/print
> >
> > and the previous lpadmin command could be run with this. It's OK as
> > long as the IP does not change and it also cuts out the moving part
> > of DNS-SD resolution.
>
> That worked:
>
> root@dragon:~# lpadmin -p M234ip -v "ipp://192.168.100.134/ipp/print"
> -E -m everywhere root@dragon:~# lp -d M234ip
> /usr/share/cups/data/form_english.pdf request id is M234ip-20 (1
> file(s)) root@dragon:~#
>
> It also showed up in Firefox's system printer dialog. I printed to
> it. Nothing. I then printed from Firefox's internal printer
> dialog. That worked.

The difference between M234 and M234ip is that the latter does not
need to use resolving to get the IP of the ptinter. The queue should
work in Abiword too.

> > The problem with the GTK dialog is that it never handled its
> > relationship with CUUPS correctly before bullseye (APIs and all
> > that). However, it *always* got along with manually set up queues,
> > which M234 is.
> >

> That isn't what I see here.

Maybe not, but it is still the case that it was GTK's handling of
printer discovery that was the issue.

> John Doe seems to think MDNS doesn't like my network
> setup. https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/05/msg00767.html

I queried hpm234ethernet.localdomain but you seemed happy with it, so
I let it go.

--
Brian.