On 5/27/23 16:37, mick.crane wrote:
I'm sure it used to be that you could swap linux discs between PCs and it would sort itself out

Yes.  Please add that to my list of reasons for preferring BIOS-MBR booting:

https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg792977.html

but I try swapping disks about and booting and they complain
"Cannot find UUID..lots of identifying numbers"
and gives intramfs prompt.
Am I supposed to be able to sort it out from there?
like how?
mick

I had a similar experienced yesterday. The solution was to boot the computer into Setup, reset to defaults, reboot into Setup again, disable all disks except the one I want, create a boot table entry for that disk, save settings, and reboot into Debian.

David