On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 6:44 AM <to...@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 01, 2023 at 12:08:29AM -0400, Nicholas Papadonis wrote:
>
> > I have the default Gnome WM installed.  Does it provide a similar option?
>
> I did a web search (no, not the google) with the terms
>
>   gnome metacity "focus follows mouse"
>
> (metacity is, AFAIK, Gnome's window manager) and the
> answer seems to be... complex: it depends on whether
> you use Wayland or not. It seems to "kind of work",
> but in different ways.
>
> Look also for "sloppy focus": in general you don't want
> your focused window to lose focus when you move the
> pointer to the "background window". But perhaps you do
> want that.

I don't know why you would force "metacity" in there, it's *not* the
window manager, so no wonder you get weird results.

Just enable "Focus on Hover" in the Gnome Tweaks settings: "Window is
focused when hovered with the pointer. Windows remain focused when the
desktop is hovered."

It has worked flawlessly for ages, as long as I've used Gnome 3 (the
default in debian for a long time), and there's no difference in
behaviour between wayland and xorg.