On Thu, Jun 08, 2023 at 06:34:36PM +0100, Tim Woodall wrote:
> IIUC trixy will enforce merged-usr, it's optional until then. (bicbw, it
> might be bookworm that will enforce it - all my systems are already
> merged and I don't run testing)

Merged-usr is officially mandated for bookworm, and upgrades to bookworm
will do the merge, if it hasn't already happened.

<https://wiki.debian.org/UsrMerge>:

    In February 2021, the Technical Committee has resolved that Debian
    'bookworm' should support only the merged-usr root filesystem layout,
    dropping support for the non-merged-usr layout. (978636)

    The transition started on September 17th, 2022, by making
    init-system-helpers depend on usrmerge.