David Wright wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>>   except that is a misconception for those who are running
>> testing.  we're not upgrading to a new release.
>
> I don't understand. Suite testing was codenamed bookworm until today,
> and now testing is codenamed trixie. Why is that not a new release?

  testing is still testing is it not?  they didn't
delete it and then create it again.  i don't think
they'd do something like that, but even if they did
how would someone outside the release team know?

  they just created a new directory structure with
the codename and put links to the packages that were
the same as testing.  it is like taking a snapshot
but you don't destroy the original directory.

  after that point testing and stable diverge as
changes are made (under the rules and procedures of
the release team and the various software gatekeepers,
security team, etc.).

  you could say that as soon as the first change
happens that trixie is underway and i wouldn't
argue too much about that at all, but i don't
consider it anything other than testing and a
release candidate for trixie.  it's not officially
a stable release for another 24-?? months and as
such it isn't really named by me, but others can
consider it what they want.  it's only the view
of the release team that really counts (and their
established procedures and tools).

  it's like the chicken and egg problem applied to
making a cake.  at some point you start with an
empty bowl and then put in ingredients and then at
some future point (when the baking is done) you
have a cake (when it is released from the pan or
even taken from the oven - as some people do eat
the cake directly from the pan).  flour alone
isn't the cake.  so let's just say that testing is
the bowl which holds the ingredients of the next
potential stable release, you can call it what you
want but it isn't an official release until the
release team kicks it out the door with the
codename (or not as perhaps some year we run out
of codenames or Debian stops producing official
images of any kind or ...).

  songbird