Anyone with an encrypted root partition should probably follow the
advice in the NEWS for cryptsetup from the last release (buster) which
at the time said.

    On systems which do rely on the initramfs integration, one can mark
    'cryptsetup-initramfs' as being manually installed (so APT never
    selects it for auto-removal) with the following command:

        apt-mark manual cryptsetup-initramfs

My failure to do this caused cryptsetup-initramfs to become an
'obsolete' package in Aptitude which I didn't spot when cleaning the
these up after what I thought was a successful upgrade. This resulted
in an unbootable system.

I guess this shouldn't affect most people, it was the result of:

A) The cryptsetup package in Bookworm changing from depending on
cryptsetup-initramfs to just recommending it.

B) Me having APT configured to not install recommends.

Though thinking about this again as I write this, it seems that once a
recommended package is installed it shouldn't show up as 'obsolete'.
Note, I do have the config:

  APT::AutoRemove::SuggestsImportant "false";

But RecommendsImportant is left as the default (true).

Hmmm, perhaps I did something else to cause cryptsetup-initramfs to be
removed?

Either way, it seems safe advice to other people with an encrypted root
partition to mark the package as manually installed to help prevent
issues.

--
Tixy