On Sun, 11 Jun 2023 12:31:31 -0400
Dan Ritter <d...@randomstring.org> wrote:

> The machine I am typing on has been upgraded from bullseye to
> bookworm. TL;DR: boring, which is good.

> I read the release notes.
>
> Changed sources.list entries.
>
> Ran apt update.
>
> I ran apt upgrade --without-new-pkgs before apt full-upgrade.
> Then I rebooted.
>
> Everything's working. In the end, I didn't make any config
> changes (left everything as "keep current config").

This is the part that always stresses me out; I often have changes in
the default config files that I don't want to lose, but I'm also
worried about not getting the latest versions of the config files. I
usually try to accept the new files and manually bring in any important
changes I've made to the old ones, but this takes time and patience to
do right, and things can break if not done right :)

So far I've upgraded two Stable systems:

* A bare metal install, with a somewhat robust set of packages and
configuration. I mostly kept the the current configs like Dan did.

* A more minimal cloud VM, which pretty much just runs Nextloud through
Docker. I accepted the new sshd_config, but I manually switched
PermitRootLogin back on. (Pretty much everything I do on this machine
is done is root, so I don't bother logging in as a user and switching
to root.)

Both upgrades went quite smoothly.

--
Celejar