On 2023-06-16 at 11:00, Unni wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am getting Bluetooth firmware error after upgrade. I've tried
> reinstalling firmware-iwlwifi. But no luck. I've added non-free-firmware
> in apt source, so thats not the issue. Help me to fix the error on booth.

From that last, I'm presuming that you've rebooted since the upgrade,
and that it's at boot time that the error appears.

> ~# dmesg | egrep -i 'bluetooth'
> [    6.051557] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
> [    6.051579] NET: Registered PF_BLUETOOTH protocol family
> [    6.051580] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
> [    6.051587] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
> [    6.051589] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
> [    6.051593] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
> [    6.093212] bluetooth hci0: firmware: failed to load
> intel/ibt-20-0-0.sfi (-2)
> [    6.093358] bluetooth hci0: firmware: failed to load
> intel/ibt-20-0-0.sfi (-2)

I see some things online that seem to suggest that this may be a
misleading message, and that the stack may already be using the
available firmware, but is also attempting to load this lower version
and is reporting that that attempt failed. However, those mentions are
somewhat older (2021-ish?), and the messages aren't quite the same, and
it looks like they should have been fixed by now, so I'm not assuming
that they're talking about this same thing.

Can you confirm whether you're seeing any actual functionality issues
along with this change, or whether it's just the fact that the message
is appearing that has you concerned?

FWIW, I get all of the above messages except the two about firmware (I
get two about a command timeout and a "Reading Intel version command
failed" instead)...

> [    7.622442] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
> [    7.622446] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
> [    7.622450] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized

...and also get these three...

> [    7.623488] Bluetooth: MGMT ver 1.22
> [    9.011767] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
> [    9.011779] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
> [    9.011784] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
> [   32.748460] Bluetooth: hci0: Opcode 0x 401 failed: -16

...but not these. I don't actually know whether Bluetooth functionality
is available on my system, because I don't think I have any hardware
suitable to pair to it. Presumably, however, the lines we have in common
should not be relevant to what you're seeing.

$ apt-file search ibt-20-0-
firmware-iwlwifi: /lib/firmware/intel/ibt-20-0-3.ddc
firmware-iwlwifi: /lib/firmware/intel/ibt-20-0-3.sfi

(This is with the same package version you referenced; it's in both
stable and testing, at the moment.)

So ibt-20-0-3.sfi exists, but not the 20-0-0 version. The question would
then seem to be why the Bluetooth stack is attempting to load that
lower-numbered version.

Given that we're talking about firmware, it may be necessary to
reinitialize the relevant modules (et possibly cetera) after the
upgrade; that can almost certainly be done by rebooting, but should also
be possible to do manually in many cases by removing and reinserting
modules. If (as suggested above) you've rebooted, then presumably this
approach has already been tried.

(In my case, I'm fairly sure I haven't rebooted since the release, but I
was also tracking testing right up to the release so I'm already running
the same kernel etc. that you mentioned.)

--
   The Wanderer