On Sat, Jun 17, 2023 at 09:00:29AM -0400, pa...@quillandmouse.com wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 08:38:33 -0400
> Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 11:03:59PM -0400, pa...@quillandmouse.com
> > wrote:
> > > Why isn't there a ONE WAY for packages to be managed?
> >
> > Because each user has a different preference.  Just read this thread
> > for example, and see all the differing opinions about how we like
> > our packages to be managed.
> >

> Again, I'm not suggesting ONE tool. I'm suggesting that, for example,
> dependency resolution be handled in a specific way by all tools.

I think you underestimate dependency resolution. It is actually an
"interesting problem" [1] :-)

One of the big differences between apt-get and aptitude is the resolver
which is much more sophisticated (which doesn't necessarily mean always
"better) in aptitude.

Cheers

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/aptitude/ch02s03.en.html