I've been upgrading my machines Bullseye => Bookworm recently.  In a few of
these upgrades, the name of the ethernet device changed.  (E.g. enP2p32s15f0 =>
enP2p0s15f0)  This required changes to /etc/network/interfaces in order to
start up the interface.

This is only a minor inconvenience (though it may require me to take a drive
out 30 miles to the location where a few of these machines reside -- no
problem, it's a beautiful drive!)

However, I seem to remember that once upon a time there was a way to get (I
think it involved udev) the system to assign an arbitrary name (e.g. (enet0")
to a given interface based on something that doesn't change when the
firmware/driver gets upgraded. For example, the MAC address for an Ethernet
interface would be a good basis.

The trouble is that it was a while ago and I can't remember how to do that?

Any hints will be appreciated.  Pointers to documentation on the subject would
be especially helpful!

Thanks in advance!
Rick