David Christensen <dpchr...@holgerdanske.com> writes:

> On 6/22/23 03:28, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>> Am 21/06/2023 um 15:46 schrieb to...@tuxteam.de:
>
>>> ... top posting ...
>
>> ... When the message is forwarded ("Weitergeleitet", ... you have no
>> other choice than to top post because the forwarded message is not
>> indented. It would make no sense to bottom post because there would
>> be no way to tell the comment apart from the post. ...
>

> I use Thunderbird.  When I want to start a new thread based upon an existing
> thread and keep prior content, I click "Reply", copy the content to the
> clipboard, create a new message, paste, and choose Edit -> Rewrap.  This
> produces a new thread with proper indentation of prior content.  Perhaps your
> mail client has a similar capability.
>

> HTH,
>
> David

Honest question regarding forwarding and top posting: while I totally
get that bottom posting style works naturally in a conversation thread,
for a forwarded email the situation is slightly different: it may not be
obvious why the recipient is getting a mail starting with a (potentially
long) quoted message.  IMHO in such case top posting with an explanation
on why the sender is forwarding the mail kind of makes sense.

Regarding forwarding in MUA, old school MUAs (like gnus, mu4e) provides
a quote automatically and put the cursor below; however in Thunderbird
it doesn't quote the forwarded message but provide a separate line, and
even if I set posting style to be below original message, it will post
the cursor above the forwarded message anyway, which makes me feel that
this may be a sensible way to handle forwarded message after all.

Personally I don't have a strong preference either way, but would like
to hear more opinions on this.

--
Manphiz