That seems to have worked (I think)...

On Thu, Jun 22, 2023, at 7:34 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
    .... snip ....
> It might be worth looking at precisely what is not installed / removed
> dpkg -C will give you what needs configuring if anything, I think.
>
> I had a similar experience with upgrading Debian WSL - in the end, I
> found that temporarily removing default-jre-?? helped.
>
> That allowed me to upgrade the system and then to reinstall the JRE.
>
> I think the versions of the Java runtime environment have changed very
> significantly, hence the problem.

What I did was run "dpkg -C" to get a list of problematical packages, which I
then purged.
    aptitude -PVv  purge default-jre openjdk-17-jre:arm64
openjdk-17-jre-headless
I saved the list of all packages being removed (including several not in the
original list but removed for dependency reasons).

The purge ran without incident.  I was then able to do "apt-get upgrade" which
ran to completion without complaint.

I then re-installed all the packages that had previously been removed.  This
ran without incident, as did "apt-get upgrade" following.

I believe the only thing I've lost at this point is knowledge of which of the
re-installed packages were originally "auto-installed" due to depends or
recommends .

I hope this report helps the next person with this kind of problem.  I know I
learned a lot!

Thanks very much to Andy, Jeff and Sven for all their help!
Rick