David Wright wrote:
> On Mon 26 Jun 2023 at 17:22:04 (-0400), Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> > > This would also be useful in my efforts to explain to my boss
> > > why we're upgrading the machines.
> > >
> > > "It's 2023 and we're running Debian 2021. It's time to upgrade."
> >
> > ++
>
> I don't see how that works. What would your codename be, instead of
> trixie? How do you know?

I wouldn't care, because "2023" would be a synonym for
"bookworm" in all the appropriate files.

> a project, and everyone knows what they're talking about. Unlike numbers,
> names are memorable and unambiguous (when well-chosen).

buster, bullseye, bookworm. So we can't depend on them to be
well-chosen.

> You don't have to memorize all of Debian's codenames in order, do you?
> There are about three or four in current use at any one time. (And the
> release numbers might be monotonic, but they're not sequential, so
> memorizing them would be just as tricky.)

Since I've been using Debian since ... 1.3 ? I have been exposed
to at least a dozen names.

It would always have been of more benefit to be able to say
"that went stable in 2002" or "next stable release will probably
be in 2025" rather than "3 Woody" and "13 Trixie". Keeping the
fun name is absolutely fine and indeed useful -- because
schedules slip and no software should be released before its
time.

It's just that, when Trixie becomes stable, it would be very
useful to be able to put "2025" or "2026" in all my
documentation and config files instead of "13 Trixie".

-dsr-