I'm trying to crossgrade a bullseye system (from i386 to amd64). The machine is headless (with no graphical display and it's also difficult to access a console), so I'm doing it over ssh.

In preparation I've switched from systemd to sysvinit (due to the warning on the crossgrade page), and also installed busybox-static:amd64 and have a "busybox ash" shell running (in case of trouble).

I'm following https://wiki.debian.org/CrossGrading, but at the step:

     Crossgrade `dpkg` `tar` and `apt`

I get:

#apt --download-only install dpkg:amd64 tar:amd64 apt:amd64
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 apt : Conflicts: apt:amd64 but 2.6.1 is to be installed
apt:amd64 : Conflicts: apt but 2.6.1 is to be installed
 dpkg : Conflicts: dpkg:amd64
 dpkg:amd64 : Conflicts: dpkg
 tar : Conflicts: tar:amd64
 tar:amd64 : Conflicts: tar
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

It seems like perhaps the bookworm version of apt has some extra restrictions about installing other arch binary packages, and won't even download them for me.  This is pretty inconvenient.

Does anyone know any force- or allow- that will persuade apt or apt-get to do this?  I tried --allow-remove-essential.  No luck.

I'll continue using wget, dpkg and manual dependency resolution. Maybe someone has some clues for me?

Thanks,
Alex