On Sat, Aug 05, 2023 at 10:05:31PM -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 5, 2023, 9:13 PM Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 06, 2023 at 09:28:55AM +0800, Jon Smart wrote:
> > > How to stop the auto-changes to /etc/resolv.conf after rebooting?
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf
> >

> Contrary to what that page states, auto changes to resolv.conf are never
> appropriate in the server environment. The statement there that it works
> fine in a "properly configured server" is the boilerplate escape hatch for
> that inconvenient fact :-)

Those words do not appear on that page.  I don't know which sentence(s)
you're actually referring to.  The closest thing I see there is "so
long as the network infrastructure is perfect", which refers to the DHCP
server, not the Debian system.

A lot of us run Debian systems on networks where we DO NOT CONTROL the
DHCP server, and have to work around it.  That's what the introduction
of the page is talking about.

In any case, appeasing EVERY reader is impossible.  I have to use vague
wording to try to make sure nobody is offended that their personal
preference configuration is not snubbed.  No matter how utterly batshit
insane such a configuration may be from my point of view.

I'm also forced to relegate the chattr solution to the end of the page,
and couch it in caveats, because some people think that it's wrong.
They can't say WHY it's wrong, of course.  Maybe because it's too simple
and effective.  I dunno.

People are horrible sometimes.

With all that in mind, and considering that this is a WIKI and you may
edit it your damned SELF if you disagree with the content, what is your
actual disagreement?