Well, last time I looked (at least six or seven years ago) it was a weird maze of fiddling to get QEMU/KVM set up. Is it easier now?

On 8/26/23 14:53, Mario Marietto wrote:
For sure you can't miss qemu + kvm,they are the most powerful tools for virtualization. With qemu and kvm you can pass through to the guest OS even your gpu. With virtualbox or vmware you can't.

On Sat, Aug 26, 2023 at 8:40 PM James Bloom <jabloo...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Carl:

    I use VirtualBox on Debian 12, and I run virtual Windows 11 and
    Linux machines with no issue. I also tried GNOME boxes and had no
    direct problems, but I went back to using VirtualBox because it
    was compatible with my cloud storage setup - I can save a
    VirtualBox virtual machine file in the cloud server and access it
    from my desktop and laptop without issue, whereas GNOME boxes
    wouldn’t work if I did that - there were always boot errors. But
    GNOME boxes otherwise seemed to work great.

    James

    Get Outlook for iOS <https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
    *From:* Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com>
    *Sent:* Saturday, August 26, 2023 9:29:30 AM
    *To:* debian-user@lists.debian.org <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    *Subject:* Virtualization under Bookworm
    Hi,

    I have a project that I'd like to work on in a virtual machine
    hosted on
    my Bookworm system. In the old days (5-10 years ago) I used
    VirtualBox,
    just from inertia. I haven't really virtualized since then.

    What's the current recommendation for someone who just wants to
    create a
    one-off VM to run Debian under Debian? As this is not my job or even
    main hobby, ideally it should have setup at least as easy as
    VirtualBox
    was back in the day.

    System is an ASUS ExpertCenter PN52 (Ryzen 7 6800, 32 GB of RAM, 2
    terabyte SSD).

    Thank you.

    -Carl Fink

--