On 28 Aug 2023 18:32, Bruno Schneider wrote:
Hi all,

I'm running Debian Testing, using XFCE. I run synaptic package manager
from a launcher I made a few years ago. After a system upgrade today,
I can no longer run synaptic from the launcher.

Using the command line (same command as the launcher), I got this:

     $ /usr/bin/synaptic-pkexec
     Error executing command as another user: Not authorized
     This incident has been reported.

If I use sudo, then it works, but pkexec used to open a graphical
password input to run synaptic as root, which is what I want, for
opening it using the launcher. What did I break?

It seems you are in the sudo group, so pkexec should work.
"/usr/bin/synaptic-pkexec" is a one line shell script, a simple wrapper to "pkexec".

As you're using Debian testing:
- was pkexec/policykit upgraded today ?
- what was updated today ?
    ie. read the logs in /var/log/apt/*
- did you check the changelog for pkexec ?
    $ zcat /usr/share/doc/pkexec/changelog.Debian.gz

Also, the pkexec man page says :

    As a result, pkexec will not by default allow
    you to run X11 applications as another user since the $DISPLAY
    and $XAUTHORITY environment variables are not
    set. These two variables will be retained if the
    org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.allow_gui annotation on an
    action is set to a nonempty value; this is discouraged, though, and
    should only be used for legacy programs.

--
++
zithro / Cyril