Starting a new thread so that this doesn't get lost in the postings in the original thread.

The original thread was started at:

That post contains a description of the problem.

I now have a workaround (although not an explanation) for the problem.

As I noted in the above thread, once the system was up, I could get the networking to function correctly by manually entering the commands:

  sudo nmcli connection down "Wired connection enp11s0(eth0)"
  sudo nmcli connection up "Wired connection enp11s0(eth0)"

However, if I put those same nmcli commands in rc.local, the problem was not resolved.

After floundering for a while, and being suspicious that manual commands once the system was up were not being treated the same as the same commands in rc.local, I tried putting these lines in rc.local (whose output I log, so I can see what's happening):

----
nmcli connection down "Wired connection enp11s0(eth0)"
nmcli

sleep 10

nmcli connection up "Wired connection enp11s0(eth0)"
nmcli
----

These showed that after the first command, everything looked as it should, but after the second, everything had reverted to the broken state.

But it was still true that if I entered the same commands manually after the system had completed booting, the networking worked.

But I'm a slow typist, and I wondered if that 10-second pause might be too short. So I changed it to 20 seconds.

And lo! and behold! That worked.

I tried booting numerous times with a 10-second delay, and also with a 20-second delay. The results were consistent. With a 10-second delay, the network comes up in an unusable state. With a 20-second delay, it comes up in a working state. (Which to me suggests a race condition somewhere, but I'll let the developers deal with the exact cause and finding a proper fix.)

Of course, this is all just a workaround for what appears to be a problem during network initialisation in the boot process. But it does seem to work.

I will file a bug report.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans