On 9/11/23 09:28, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

how to get rid of voluminous desktop stuff without colateral damage ?
Does somebody here have experience to share about de-GNOME-ing a
virtual Sid system ?

Reason why i ask:

A dist-upgrade of my virtual Sid lasted nearly 2 hours and used up 4.5 GiB
of its virtual disk. (About half of this was in /var/cache/apt/archives
and could be deleted afterwards.)
I begin to fear that the future growth of Debian will make dist-upgrades
impossible on the 32 GiB virtual disk.

Package names matching "gir*" and "*gnome*" support my feeble memories
that the system began its life as Debian 8 installation with GNOME
desktop.
It is only used for preparing and testing Debian packages of upstream
software. I log in via SSH, work the way down my cheat sheet, and commit
the new preparations to g...@salsa.debian.org. No desktop jobs at all.

Reinstall it from scratch without a DE! ;^)

You could use 'tasksel' and/or 'apt-get --autoremove purge <PKG>'.

HTH.

--
John Doe