On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 10:13:59 +0200
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbac...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Charlie wrote:
> > The date on that system is one day in advance and one hour late. Not
> > terrible,
> > However after a short period 100% of one of the CPU cores is used,
> > noisy running, and top -c shows this as the user:
> > /usr/libexe/fvwm2/2.7.0/FvwmScript 17 4 none 0 8 FvwmScript
> > DateTime
>
> Looking at
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fvwmorg/fvwm3/main/default-config/FvwmScript-DateTime
> and reading "man FvwmScript" i'd say that the promised 1-second
> waiting period of "PeriodicTasks" is heavily shortened by the clock
> peculiarity.
>

> > Managed to get date and time right with the ntp commands, set
> > location etc., on Gkrellm at least. But the fvwm clock had frozen
> > up and stopped.
>
> That's quite normal with periodic jobs when the system time gets
> changed backward. Possibly the clock would come back to life after
> the last shown time is reached again 23 hours later.
>

> > Then tried to set the date manually with hwclock but no joy.
>
> Please detail "no joy":
> Does hwclock show the future time after rebooting if you have set it
> to the right time before rebooting ?
> (Or is it only the system clock which hops ahead ?)
> Does hwclock get changed to the future time without rebooting ?
>

> > Removing FvwmScript which I can't open to edit removes the clock
> > from the FVWM taskbar,
>
> Does this solve the problem with the future time ?
>

> > And haven't tried to
> > but Gkrellm is now using the same time?
>
> (I don't understand this statement. Maybe it's important for finding
> the explanation.)
>

> > It would appear to be an fvwm problem
>
> The fast running CPU might be related to poor handling of weird times
> by FvwmScript.
>
> But for now i doubt that fvwm sets the system date on its own.
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

        Thank you for the link Thomas. I removed the clock from the
        FVWM task bar and Gkrellm now dis[pays the right time. So a fix
        of sorts with which I can live.

I was going to install fluxbox, which I used many years ago before FVWM
just to see what that clock said. Luckily didn't need to because the
clock came up correct. Dreaded doing that anyway, being a bit long in
the tooth to start relearning another window manager.

So thank you for your help.
Charlie