On 10/23/23 16:35, Andy Smith wrote:
Hello,

On Sun, Oct 22, 2023 at 10:33:47PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
On 10/22/23 20:48, Greg Wooledge wrote:
Any issues you've encountered have been the result of misconfiguration.
You have repeatedly shown errors in your config files, and once those
have been corrected, everything has worked as expected.

This is generally true, Greg, and I get that, but every new version, which
should just continue what works, doesn't cuz somebody moved a config file

I'm afraid that *you* are the person who has moved or broken your
config files with relation to name resolution in every case you've
ever described here. All of it has been user error. You've never yet
shown an example of any change designed to make hosts files work
less well (or not at all). That is just a belief you have and
continue to state as if it's fact, but at no time has it stood up to
scrutiny.

Then perhaps you can explain to me, why Ican fillout the data tonget online with a netinstall installer, download and instal 6 or 8 Gn of stuff, and when it is time to reboot the new snstall, it comes back up with a default route in the 169 block, locking me out of net access until I rm by brute root force any and everything to do with avahi for starters? At that point I'm locked out of net access even to the other still working machines on my home net. Explain to me how I've just pulled close to 8 GB in from the net, but the totally bogus avahi 169 address is the default route when its been thru the first reboot.

Go ahead, But I'm listening for factual info, not the above innuendo and false accusations I did something wrong. I'm not doing anything the installer didn't ask me to do. 22 times before someone told me to unplug my weeping willow tree of usb stuff in order to get an install w/o orca and brltty which it installed and activated w/o asking me if I wanted it just because it was finding 2 usb-serial adapter's and assumed I was blind. Once that stuff is enabled and you rm it to get some peace and quiet, it won't reboot as it waits forever to bring them back up. So when I needed to reboot the only way to reboot was to reinstall. And I'm been catching hell ever since just because I wanted a working system, which even now I don't have.

My /home is a raid10, but anything that wants to write to it, has to wait anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes before the file requestor asking where to put this incoming file opens. Its /my/ raid, I own it all, why and what is getting in the way? A question I have asked several times without even the courtesy of a reply.

A recent kernel update seemed to speed that up some, the wait is now a much more consistent 30 seconds but it is still there for the first access and now instant after that initial wait.

Am I the only one on the planet using a quad of 1T Samsung 870 SSD's for a raid10 /home?

Those reading this later need to believe Greg's statements and not
Gene's.

Thanks for the no confidence vote Andy but I'l stand by what I wrote. It has all happened to /me/.

Thanks,
Andy

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)