tom kronmiller wrote:
> I ended up using setvbuf(stdin, NULL, _IONBF, 0) in the parent process and
> that seems to have fixed the actual program I was having trouble with.

thomas schmitt asked:

> stdin ? Not setvbuf(stdout, NULL, _IONBF, 0) ?

Yes, stdin.  The problem I was having was stdin getting repeated endlessly,
so I unbuffered stdin and that seemed to make it happy.  I'm guessing that
the exit of the child process is doing a fflush(stdin) which is causing the
file descriptor to get rewound so that the parent process gets that stdin
data again.  But maybe this is nonsensical, I just observed that
unbuffering stdin made my toy program and the original program it's
extracted from work as expected.